There is a version of the seven-week course on the Canvas learning management system here: https://learning.cmu.edu This includes both the online activities on the Open Learning Initiative platform and the day-by-day in-class activities, assignments, and rubrics. The course is called 51.371 Futures 1. This course has both individual assignments and team assignments. Please contact Peter Scupelli if you are interested in using this open-source learning resource.
Below is the in-class portion of the course materials. We’ve created a replica of the course outside of CANVAS. All activities are available as MS Word documents, PDF, and Powerpoint slides. Please contact Peter Scupelli if you need help with these materials.
1. Futures Narratives
- Week 1 :: Stories in Futures
- Week 2 :: Some Futures in Design Industry
2. Alternative Futures over time
- Week 3 :: Alternative Futures
- Week 4 :: Forces of change over time
- Week 5 :: Future signs: issues, signals, interpretations
- Week 6 :: Layers of change