- Individually finish Masdar assignment and resubmit it.
- Questions from OLI page 11. How might futurists give futures scenarios depth?
- Cascio Style Critique of Scenarios.
Today we discussed the three flaws of futures scenarios according to Jamais Cascio.
- Limitations of scenarios that (a) focus only on technological advances and missing how people live; (b) ignore unintended uses; and (c) focus only on the dominant class missing the broader impact on all of society.
- The second flaw involves ignoring human nature in futures scenarios.
- The third flaw, entails lacking respect for the intelligence of the audience (e.g., make your case and trust your audience to choose the better scenario; provide equally seductive and terrifying scenarios that prepare for success and failure).
We applied these critiques to your Masdar Scenarios and used the critiques to inspire new products and scenarios.
- Homework: OLI page 12 “Visions of futures”
Unless otherwise noted this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.