Welcome to the 7-unit Dexign Futures course. This version of the course was developed and taught as a 7-week course by Peter Scupelli in fall 2017 at Carnegie Mellon University. The course is organized around four units: (a) futures narratives; (b) alternative futures over time; (c) linking past, present and futures; and (d) making futures.
There is a version of the seven-week course on the Canvas learning management system here: https://learning.cmu.edu This includes both the online activities on the Open Learning Initiative (OLI) platform and the day-by-day in-class activities, assignments, and rubrics. The course is called 51.371 Dexign Futures (7 Weeks). Please contact Peter Scupelli if you are interested in using this open-source learning resource or if you need any other help with the material.
Below is replica of the course outside of the CANVAS environment for the in-class portion of the course materials (You will still need the OLI materials for the student homework). All class activities are available as MS Word documents, PDF, and Powerpoint slides.
1. Futures Narratives
- Unit 1 :: Stories in Futures
- Unit 2 :: Some Futures in Design Industry
2. Alternative Futures over time
- Unit 3 :: Alternative Futures
- Unit 4 :: Forces of change over time
- Unit 5 :: Future signs: issues, signals, interpretations
- Unit 6 :: Layers of change
3. Linking past, present, and futures