Welcome to the 15-unit Dexign Futures course. This version of the course was developed and taught as a 15-week course by Peter Scupelli in fall 2017 at Carnegie Mellon University. The course is organized around four units: (a) futures narratives and people; (b) critiquing alternative futures; (c) critiquing normative futures; and (d) making experiential futures.
There is a version of the fifteen-week course on the Canvas learning management system here: https://learning.cmu.edu This includes both the online activities on the Open Learning Initiative (OLI) platform and the day-by-day in-class activities, assignments, and rubrics. The course is called 51.371 Dexign Futures. Please contact Peter Scupelli if you are interested in using this open-source learning resource.
Below is replica of the course outside of the CANVAS environment for the in-class portion of the course materials (You will still need the OLI materials for the student homework). All class activities are available as MS Word documents, PDF, and Powerpoint slides. Please contact Peter Scupelli if you need help with these materials.
- Unit 1 :: Stories of Futures Past
- Unit 2 :: Features of Futures
- Unit 3 :: Surprising futures
- Unit 4 :: Three Generation Personas
2. Critiquing Alternative Futures
Unit 5 :: Futures Studies
Unit 6 :: Alternative Futures
- Unit 7 :: Mapping Futures Thinking
- Unit 8 ::Future signs: issues, signals, interpretations
- Unit 9 ::Normative Futures
- Unit 10 ::Unpacking Normative Scenarios
- Unit 11 :: Critiquing Futures Scenarios
4. Making Experiential Futures
- Unit 12 :: Experiential Futures
- Unit 13 :: Artifacts from the future
- Unit 14 :: Experiencing Futures
- Unit 15 :: Presenting Experiential Future