20 mins: OLI questions page 26
Following are some sample questions from previous class:
|Even if a metaphor or myth is identified as a foundation for a wicked problem, how can designers work around something that abstract/conceptual/large?|
|Is the second video (Six Pillars Approach) an image or is there a technical problem on my end?|
|How would designers be able to go about designing for the Myth level of CLA? Would products and communications be able to cover this or can only systems design create such changes?|
|Is there any way we can actually design for metaphor / myths rather than just research them? It seems like anything directly addressing this level would fall under the category of art rather than design.|
|How can a designer go about shifting the present state of myths and metaphors? It seems like the litany and systems levels are much more approachable and interventions in myths and metaphors is a lot more likely to fail.|
- Submit group comment/question
- 1-minute timer Each student votes individually on 3 questions they would like to discuss here.
- We discuss as a class the most voted upon questions for nine minutes
5 mins: Causal Layered Analysis recap
CLA applied to personal futures
Link to updated instructions for in-class assignment.
Step 5 :: Select the personal future you want to dig deeper into.
Step 6 :: What is the Litany look and feel like in your personal future?
- The first level is the “litany” the overwhelming aspects of issues reported in the media. These often exaggerated claims combined with a superficial analysis miss the possible underlying causes (and solutions).
Step 7 :: What is the social structure that you imagine in your personal future?
- found at the second level of analysis where scholarly, political, or ideological interpretations are provided. More ignored are the third and fourth levels.
Step 8 :: What is the worldview that you imagine embodied in your personal future? Is that a desirable or unhelpful worldview? In other words, would you be happy inhabiting that worldview?
- The third is the foundation of fundamental beliefs and worldviews, often unexamined because to unpack this level, rich grounding in history, philosophy, religion, anthropology and the arts and humanities are required.
Step 9 :: What are the myths and stories that you imagine in your personal future? Are those desirable myths and stories for you? Do you feel motivated by the myths and stories or are you demotivated by them?
- The fourth layer is that of myth. It includes recurring themes such as the epic stories, unconsciously framing everything seen or said in the other three levels. Myths and mythic metaphors work at a pre-rational level and are perceived to be true within a culture.
Reference Dator Future Studies pg10.
Recap :: Today we went deeper into your personal future through the four layers of Causal Layered Analysis (CLA). You were able to unpack the four CLA layers in a personal future of your own.
- (1) Please finish the personal futures assignment and turn it in before class on Tuesday (Steps-1-9).
- (2) Please respond to the Week 6 discussion question:
- Personal futures & CLA
You’ve explored alternative futures based on two critical uncertainties this week focused on career choice and other related uncertainty (e.g., research/practice, corporate/freelance, government/NGO). For one such future scenario, you conducted at Causal Layered Analysis to describe the four layers (i.e., litany, social system & structure, worldview, and myths & metaphors). CLA is a structured analysis tool. What did you learn from conducting such an exercise? On what kind of projects might you use CLA type analysis as a designer?Please post one comment (150-word max). Please read the posts before the next class so you are ready to discuss in class.
- read your discussion comments before class on Tuesday.
- Personal futures & CLA
- (3) Please do OLI page 25(Normative Futures) before class.
- (4) Please complete Teams v1 Self and Team member evaluations.